Google once again is on the hunt for sites that have not followed SEO recommendations. Rand Fishkin of SEO Moz shares White board Friday "6 Changes Every SEO Should Make BEFORE the Over-Optimization Penalty Hits"
The 6 points covered in Rand's Friday Whiteboard
- Page Titles Need to be Authentic — make them sound like a human wrote them. Don't overload and repeat keywords or variations of keywords
- Manipulative Internal Links — keyword repetition on the page - in the content, footer, menu items, and sidebars. Remember the very FIRST anchor link really counts and the only one that will pass value. Don't use the same anchor over and over again on the same page. Use it once only.
- Poor Link Filled Footers — Keyword and anchor stuffing does not work. If your website has large footer links, make them useful. Often we create footer links that help a user navigate to key areas on a website once they have scrolled down a long page.
- Text Content Block built only for Engines — Keep your content interesting and helpful. Don't page keyword stuff. It does not help.
- Backlinks — It's not always easy to control this you might just end up with some spammy links through no fault of your own, but if you're using tools to create back linking locations, hiring a company to get your site links, it's probably going to impact on your site rankings.
- Large volumes of pages that target similar Keywords — We've all been clicking around these pages, you just go around and around in circles, not really finding any relevant information. Keep your user experience real; don't try to create other sites and pages that all send users to the same location or site pages. It's a clear link pattern that engines will detect.